Here’s what you should do if you want to start PearBudget over from scratch.
I’m assuming here that you already have an account (with a subscription) that’s a few months (years?) old, that you want to keep. If you just want to hide a few categories (without deleting them), you can “inactivate” them. Just click on the category’s name to get that category’s pop-up box. Then click on the gray bar at the bottom to get the “advanced controls.” You should see a “make this category inactive” option. But anyway, let’s get back to the question at hand: How to start your budget from scratch.
- (optional) Print out your latest month’s Review page, just so you have a record of the most-recently-budgeted numbers.
- Change your e-mail address. The idea here is that, in PearBudget, you can only have a single account per e-mail address. So you’ll want to change your e-mail address from “firstname.lastname@example.org” (obviously: replace “yourname” and “whatever” and “com” to the appropriate terms for your e-mail address) to “email@example.com”. In truth, it doesn’t have to be “old.” at the beginning of the e-mail … it can be whatever you want. But I recommend sticking an “old.” at the beginning, so it’s easier for me (Charlie) to find it for Step 6.To change your e-mail address, click on your current e-mail address (top-right corner of the PearBudget screen) and you’ll get an account pop-up box. You should see where to change the e-mail address there. Don’t forget to save it!It doesn’t matter that you don’t actually get e-mail at “firstname.lastname@example.org” … we won’t actually be sending an e-mail there.
- Log out of your account. You’ll now be back at the main PearBudget screen.
- Run through the wizard again, setting up your categories and values the way you want them.
- When you get into the application itself, go ahead and save your account, using your regular e-mail address.
- After you do that, e-mail us (email@example.com), and Ruth or I will transfer your subscription from your old account to your new account.
I know that maybe looks like a lot of steps, but it doesn’t actually take too long. Apart from the “running through the setup wizard,” it shouldn’t take more than a minute or so.
And, as with everything, if you have any questions about how to do any of this, please don’t hesitate to e-mail us.